|The subject of this article is Bungie Lore; one of the many myths, legends, and easter eggs that have been created by Bungie.|
Ling-Ling is Bungie Studios' dog. Only it's not so much a dog, but a dog's head. It's contained in a jar of formaldehyde. The dog's head was once lost, (see picture to the right) but it has now been found, and is kept somewhere inside Bungie's Offices.
"Dog's head in a jar. Has mystical significance. But it's too nasty to think about. Especially if you think about opening the jar, and drinking the head-water down in one mighty draft. DANGER! Do not juxtapose Tijuana Mama with Ling Ling! When the jar containing Ling-Ling finally breaks, as it must, Bungie will make a sequel to Gnop!"
Recovering Ling-Ling's head is Step 5 in Bungie's 7-Step Plan for World Domination, and it is currently listed as completed. Also 'when Ling-Ling's jar is broken, Owt Gnop! will be made', referring to the sequel to Bungie's first ever game, Gnop! As of 2021, Ling-Ling's jar has not been broken.
Found on Imgur.com, someone named TamaracTalk claims to have held onto an original poster of Ling-Ling (or a fax of the poster). The date on the image says January 21, 1999, which coincides with Bungie's timeline of the head moving with them from Chicago to the state of Washington.
"I held on to this Missing Dog Poster for almost 20 years because it made me laugh....I think it was faxed to me or I found it on a pole near me. Anyway I took it and kept it in a photo album. It just cracked me up so much." - TamaracTalk
“One of the guys from the Chicago office had a roommate who was a medical student and he brought Ling Ling home as homework. He moved out and left Ling Ling behind and she's been here ever since.”
~ Robt McLees (harangue-utan) on how Ling-Ling's head came into Bungie's possession
According to an exclusive interview with Ling-Ling herself, she was once owned by a married Asian couple.
- Ling-Ling has seven hairs on its head.
- In Halo 2, there is a Easter Egg where Ling-Ling can be seen on a sign in the multiplayer map, "Zanzibar" on July 7th.
- You can sometimes see Ling-Ling's face in the clouds of the Halo 2 level "Uprising".
- Ling-Ling can be one of Halo 2's randomly chosen default names.
- Ling-Ling's head can be seen in a Bungie ViDoc entitles, "Work At Bungie," which can be viewed here in Bungie's old Bungie Media Player section.
- Bungie keeps Ling-Ling's head in the fridge at the office...somewhere.
- Ling-Ling is a white poodle that may look like a Fox Hound or Terrier.
- Ling-Ling also was owned by a married couple.
- There a picture of Ling-Ling in the Tribute Room in Halo: Reach.
- "Ling Ling" is one of the preset loadout names in Halo: Reach.
- A graffiti version of Ling-Ling can be found in Halo 2: Anniversary's Zanzibar map remake, Stonetown, which was created by developer Certain Affinity.
- Exclusive interview with Ling-Ling by babysue
- YouTube - Halo Ling-Ling Easter Eggs (Bungie History)
- Marathong.Bungie.org - Blasts from the Past